Poisonous snakes are commonly found in our area. Some of the species include: Copperheads, Rattle Snakes, Cotton Mouth.
Whenever a pet is found with an unexplained swelling, bleeding and severe pain, consider a snake bite.
Venomous snakes inject toxins into their victims causing tissue necrosis. Non-venomous snakes produce less painful bites as well as less swelling.
Animals suspected of a snake bite should be seen by a veterinarian immediately. Typically animals are bitten on the nose, head and legs.
Pets will be treated with fluids, antibiotics, steroids and anti-venim. Surgery may or may not be required to the damaged tissue.